Sunday, March 23, 2014

Space Camp Rough Draft

I never wanted to be an Astronaut, not once did I dream of being a Dentist. I never dreamt of being a Ballerina or a Singer, a Composer, a Teacher, a Dealer. No, I always dreamt of being something more.  Something bigger than what everyone else wanted as a child.. 

I didn't want to be the same as the other kids. The kids who played dress up and went Trick or Treating as a Princess or a Fireman because that's what they "wanted to be when they grew up." But it was really because that's what their parents picked out for them, because their friends thought it was "cool" and they should all be Princesses and Firemen. 

But now the girls go together as a big group of Lifeguards with shorts that are too short and the guys dress up as the Football Players they already are. They go with the crowd, they don't know what they want. They do what makes them "cool". 
Well, I know what I want.

 I've always known what I want, unlike any of you other high school kids. To the kids who have doubted me and my ability to succeed with what I want to be in life, just you wait and see. This is my space camp and I run the show. 



2 comments:

  1. "just you wait and see. This is my space camp and I run the show." I love this perfect ending. In my mind, I think it's interesting how the capitalization of "Astronaut" and everything else kind of limits those occupations and makes them as shallow as the kiddie pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love this. So personal and real.
    "But now the girls go together as a big group of Lifeguards with shorts that are too short and the guys dress up as the Football players they already are. "

    ReplyDelete