Thursday, May 8, 2014

Remembering What Once Was



I remember when we got a flat tire on the first date
and how your dad had to pick us up in his Police car.
I remember when you spent my 17th Birthday with me
and I paid for the movie tickets.
I remember you vividly.

I remember my old home in the desert state,
the one with no scenery, with the exception of some cacti.
I remember walking home in the heat and I remember enjoying it.
I remember the 15 watermelon slices that gave me a tummy ache
and I remember how I still love watermelon.
I had it yesterday.
I remember the pool, the three best friends, the sun.
I can't forget the red ribbon they tied around the lamp post in front of my home when I moved away. 
They told me they visited every day and tied the knot on the red ribbon tighter than they had the day before.
I remember Mesa, Arizona.
My childhood.

I remember when people played with Barbies for fun.
Not just because everybody else did.
I remember when kids at recess yelled "four-eyes" to the kids who wore glasses.
I remember recess and my Kindergarten teacher with the same last name as me. 
She always said I was special and she made me smile.
I remember braces and how they hurt my teeth. 
At least now I have a good smile,
as long as I keep my retainer in at night. 
Daddy makes me wear it every night, but sometimes I take it out
after he says "goodnight".

I remember making chocolate chip cookies, 
the smell of burning cookie dough filling the house. 
They don't know I know, but my family never actually ate them.
Never.

I remember Neon Trees "Everybody Talks" blasting int he car 
because it was our theme song for the summer.
It was the summer where we all stuck together and we sang our hearts out like it was nobody's business.

I remember Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup and Saltine crackers being forced down my throat when I was "sick".
I just really didn't feel like going to school.
I remember how music helped when my heart hurt.
I remember the songs you wrote for the girl you loved 
and how I sang along at every concert.
I remember how you used to be my best buddy.
And how we haven't seen each other for a long time now.
I hope I can see you soon.

I remember when nobody at my high school had died.
Those were better times.
Even if it only lasted up until December of my Sophomore year.
I remember the boys who never said "hello" to me because
I was quiet and different.
Oh, how it hurt me inside.
I always told momma I was fine.
But she would never believe me.
I remember how she cried when she almost lost her baby girl
for the third time.
And I remember how happy she was when she knew it'd be the last time she would have to cry.
I remember.   

1 comment: