Sunday, May 25, 2014

Daddy


Twelve years ago:
You would walk in the front door
to see your little kids running towards you with smiles on their faces. 
Momma always said this was your favorite part about coming home. 
You'd pick me up and swing me around
and I'd say, "Daddy, I'm so glad you're home", 
as I give you a big kiss on the cheek,
and you'd give me a kiss on the forehead,
all with radiant smiles on our faces. 

Today: 
You walked in the front door
to see your children walking towards you.
Momma says I should go say hello, and welcome you home. 
I'd give a quick hug, 
utter the words momma told me to,
and try to walk away with a smile. 
You hardly even noticed the effort I made.

Oh, Daddy. 
Watching those old home movies tonight
made me wish we were still close.
Close enough for me to say,
"Daddy, I'm so glad you're home", 
and for you to give your little girl a kiss on the forehead. 

Daddy, 
Come back to me. 



2 comments: